Winter brings cooler temperatures, longer nights, and unwanted rodents. Rodents can be an issue any time of the year, but during the winter, they look for a warm place to call home. When they find your attic, basement, or the walls in your home you have an infestation. Here’s what you need to know about removing rodents from your home and how Raven Termite and Pest Control, a top exterminator in Maryland, can help.
Signs of Rodents Living in Your Home
It’s not hard to determine you have rodents living in your home. You will notice:
- Odor: when rodents invade your home, they often stay for the long haul. One of the first signs of rodents living in your home is a pungent, musky odor. This odor is caused by droppings, urine, and dead rodents. When rodents are dying, they move away from other rodents to die alone, which means you’ll smell them long before you might be able to locate them.
- Droppings: Rodent droppings look like little pellets. They are usually dark brown or black and scattered around more than one location in your home. Rodent droppings are a health hazard because they carry diseases, such as hantavirus, rat-bite fever, salmonella, and bubonic plague.
- Tampered Food Packaging: When rodents move into your home, they help themselves to everything you have, including your food. Rodents tear into food packages, especially during the winter, because other food sources are scarce. Don’t count on wrappers to keep rodents out of your food. Keep your food in airtight containers to prevent contamination.
- Grease Smears: Mice and rats have grease in their fur that leaves marks on every surface they touch. This grease buildup causes expensive repairs.
- Nests: Rodent nests are made from anything they can find that will keep them and their babies warm, such as grass, different types of vegetation, paper, and torn fabric.
Safely Removing Rodents From Your Home
Removing rodents from your home might seem like an easy DIY task, but don’t expose yourself and your family to potential harm. You need the help of a professional exterminator in Maryland. Here at Raven Termite and Pest Control, we specialize in the removal of a variety of rodents and pests, including bed bugs, rodents, roaches, termites, wildlife, and more. We also provide flexible terms to ensure you have the pest control services you need when you need them to keep you and your family safe. Contact us today so we can help you create a unique pest control schedule.