You’ve got a pest problem and you’re not sure what to do. You want to try some DIY methods, but you’re not sure where to start. There are several DIY methods, such as using diatomaceous earth, spraying pesticides, setting mousetraps, mothballs, and so on. Here are some tips for pest control services in Reisterstown.
What Is Diatomaceous Earth?
Diatomaceous earth (DE) is the ground-up remains of fossilized single-celled seas creatures. It’s been used as a natural pesticide for decades. One thing to keep in mind is that you should use DE labeled as \”Food Grade\”, not \”Pool Grade\”. DE labeled \”Pool Grade\” is to only be used as a filter medium for swimming pools. It’s not safe for humans or pets, due to the way it’s processed. It can cause serious lung damage. \”Food Grade\” is made from freshwater diatomites and while it can cause mild lung irritation over a long exposure, it’s safe for topical applications and some people take it as a dietary supplement.
Uses For Diatomaceous Earth
Diatomaceous earth can be used indoors and outdoors. While it’s a powder, the particles have sharp edges that will damage insect exoskeletons and the soft parts of snails and slugs.
Where to Use Diatomaceous Earth –
• Sprinkle on bulbs before planting or exposed stem to ward off dormant bulb thrips, mites, and borers
• In greenhouses, sprinkle around seed tray perimeters to stop pill bugs and around the bases of small plants to stop earwigs
• When there’s a good forecast and plant leaves are dry, sprinkle DE to stop cutworms, Mexican bean beetles, asparagus beetles, and potato beetles
• If you have an aphid problem, sprinkle the DE directly on the aphids
Be careful not to sprinkle DE on flower heads, because bees are vulnerable to the effects of DE.
In the Home
Diatomaceous earth has been used as a pesticide in homes for decades. It’s safe and effective. While it’s deadly to bugs, it’s safe for humans and pets.
• Fleas – You have pets, you could have fleas. DE helps control fleas. Sprinkle it under your pet’s bed, on rugs and carpets between vacuuming. Vacuuming helps disrupt the fleas’ reproductive cycle. Also sprinkle DE under the cushions of your furniture where your pet sits.
• Bed Bugs – Bed bugs are nasty, and they’ve undergone a resurgence due to resistance to chemical pesticides. Sprinkle DE in bed frames, under the box spring, suitcase stitching, and believe it or not, electrical sockets.
There are a number of other pests, such as silverfish, spiders, black and red ants, and darkling beetles that can be controlled with regular applications of DE.
Need Pest Control Services In Reisterstown?
If you need pest control services in Reisterstown, contact Raven Termite and Pest Control. Our knowledgeable staff is ready to help you with all your pest control needs.