Older homes can have a great deal of character and charm, but they can also be havens for pests. Because they have been around longer, they tend to have more pest control issues than newer structures. If you live in an older home, how can you keep the pest population under control? What kinds of pests are you likely to encounter? Raven Termite & Pest Control, your exterminator in Baltimore, can help.
Pests Found in Older Homes
While pests can be found anywhere, older homes can often be the spot for certain infestations. The types of pests you are likely to encounter in your older home include:
- Carpenter bees: these insects can create a great deal of damage by boring holes in decks, carports, or other wooden sections of your home. They create tunnels that allow water to get into the structure, weakening it over time. The bees do not eat the wood, they simply drill holes in it to lay eggs.
- Carpenter ants: carpenter ants love soft, rotting wood which can be found in some older homes. This provides them a place to build colonies. Carpenter ants also do not eat the wood, instead they drill holes, tunnels and channels in it for the colony.
- Termites: termites can cause a great deal of damage to your home by eating away at the frame or structure.
- Rodents: older homes have more entry points for rodents; therefore, mice and rats are more common in older structures.
There are some things you can do to prevent pests from destroying your older home. These include the following:
- Routine maintenance: keeping your home in good repair can prevent pests from taking over your home. Repair holes in the walls, keep your roof in good condition and make sure windows and doors are set properly.
- Storage: store items inside the home properly to prevent pests from finding food sources.
- Exterminator services: hire a professional exterminator, like Raven Termite & Pest Control, to inspect your home for pests and treat for any found.
Pests can not only be an inconvenience, they can cause a great deal of damage. To rid your older home of these unwelcome intruders, contact Raven Termite & Pest Control, your exterminator in Baltimore.