Noticing a mouse in your home can be stressful. Mice carry diseases, breed rapidly and can damage property. Mice are considered one of the most common household pests, and it\’s important to know what to look for, how to prevent an infestation, and how to get rid of them quickly and effectively. Raven Termite & Pest Control, your exterminator in Dundalk, provides rodent extermination and education on how to prevent house mice infestations.
How Do You Know Mice Have Moved In?
There are several signs mice may have moved into your home. These include:
- Chew/Gnaw Marks: mice chew through walls and other surfaces to get to food sources and build nests.
- Fecal Matter: mouse droppings are small (usually 1/8-1/4 inch long) and shaped like rods with pointed ends. The droppings are usually black and found in areas mice frequent.
- Marks on Walls: due to the oil in their fur, mice leave marks (greasy streaks) on walls as they move about your home.
- Damaged Items: Mice will chew through boxes and containers to get to food and build nests. Favorites include cereals or grains like rice or corn.
How to Prevent Mice in Your Home- More From an Exterminator in Dundalk
You can take steps to prevent mice from entering your home or from returning when you get rid of an infestation. Prevention includes:
- Keep your lawn trimmed to reduce hiding places for mice around your home. Have a one-foot strip around your home that is vegetation-free. This helps discourage mice from coming into your home.
- De-clutter your home to keep mice from finding hiding places inside.
- If you notice any places mice can enter your home from the outside, seal those areas off.
- Store food in metal, glass or plastic containers to discourage mice.
- Sanitize your surfaces to discourage mice.
- Inspect your home regularly and call an exterminator when you see signs a mouse is in your home.
The most efficient way to handle mice in your home is through the services of a professional exterminator like Raven Termite & Pest Control. An exterminator can find out where mice are entering, nesting and get rid of them effectively. To help rid your home of mice, call Raven Termite & Pest Control, your exterminator in Dundalk, today.