A garage is an awesome feature on a home; however, it can also be a haven for pests. The more items you store in your garage, the more places insects and rodents have to hide, build homes/colonies, and thrive. Cleaning up your garage can prevent an infestation. The professionals at Raven Termite and Pest Control, your exterminator in Harford County, can help you stop pests in their tracks.
Types of Pests Garages Attract
There are a number of pests that may be attracted by your garage including: ants, spiders, rodents, termites, beetles, sowbugs, flies, roaches, silverfish and crickets. These pests can range from inconvenient to potentially damaging to your home.
The best way to deal with pests is being proactive from the start regarding prevention. You can prevent pests from taking up residence in your garage by doing the following:
- Sweep away spiderwebs. Most spiders do not pose a threat to humans, but they can be messy and drop dead bugs on the floor of your garage.
- Install weatherstripping. Weatherstripping closes gaps at the bottom of garage doors preventing bugs from having a point of entry.
- Look for signs of insects in your yard or home exterior. Preventing insects on the exterior can help eliminate bugs inside.
- Repair holes in walls, floors and doors. Again, like gaps in garage doors, holes in walls, doors or floors can be entry points for pests. Repairing these holes blocks entry points.
- Get rid of cardboard. Termites and cockroaches are drawn to cardboard boxes. Mice and rats will also use cardboard as building material for nests. Get rid of cardboard boxes and opt for sealed totes for garage storage.
- Don’t store food items in your garage unless they are in pest proof containers.
- Employ a professional exterminator. Routine pest control can prevent an infestation by identifying the types of pests present and using the appropriate pest control method. An exterminator can also provide guidance on preventing pests from entering your home.
Keeping pests out of your garage will help keep them out of your home. For a professional exterminator in Harford County, contact Raven Termite and Pest Control today and stop an infestation before it starts.