No one wants to deal with pests in their home, let alone in their food. Do you ever see little worms or moths in a box of cereal or bag of flour? They could be Indianmeal moths. If you suspect you have Indianmeal moths in your kitchen, please read on to learn more. Should the infestation get large, or you have other pest problems, it is time to bring in the pros. When you need to call an exterminator in Bethesda, reach out to Raven Termite and Pest Control.
Learn More About Indianmeal Moths
Indianmeal Moths are a type of Pyraloid moth that are often referred to as pantry moths. The adult moths are no larger than 3/8 inches and have a wingspan of 5/8 inches. The wings of these moths are gray, but their rear wings can be brown or bronze. Indianmeal moth larvae can be yellowish-green, cloudy white, or light pink with a dark brown head. Their wings feature a distinctive pattern allowing you to distinguish them from other moths.
Common Places to Find Indianmeal Moths
Some Indianmeal moths enter your home from the outside, especially during warm weather. However, most of these pests enter your home through packaged foods. Foods the moths prefer to lay eggs in include:
- Dry pet food (fish flakes, dog and cat food, birdseed)
- Breakfast cereals that are packaged in bags or boxes
- Dried soups and pasta
- Nuts and crackers
- Fruits, vegetables, and dried herbs
- Powdered milk, cornmeal, flour, and other baking goods
Preventing Indianmeal Moths
You can prevent an Indianmeal moth infestation by:
- Deep cleaning – Immediately clean up spilled food and any insects you find on the shelves. After you vacuum the shelves to remove debris, use soap and water to remove stubborn dirt and other debris.
- Sealing holes – Be sure to seal gaps and cracks in the pantry and areas close to the pantry to contain the larva and prevent them from leaving the location.
- Proper storage – Use glass or plastic food storage containers that come with an airtight lid to seal your food and prevent an infestation.
- Inspection – Have an exterminator inspect your home for Indianmeal moths. If there are any infestation signs, these professionals can get rid of Indianmeal moths and other pests.
Exterminator in Bethesda: Raven Termite and Pest Control
At Raven Termite and Pest Control, we are dedicated to keeping your home pest-free. We provide residential and commercial pest control services. Contact us anytime you need an exterminator in Bethesda or the surrounding area.