Spiders are everywhere, but there are different types depending on the region of the world you live in. In Maryland, there are twenty-nine different types of spiders, some more dangerous to humans than others. Not all spiders build webs, and it is hard to notice when you are sharing your home with these eight-legged creatures. The professionals at Raven Termite & Pest Control
, your pest control in Glen Burnie, can help identify what spiders are in your home and how to get rid of them quickly.
Spiders You May Encounter In and Near Your Home – More From an Expert in Pest Control in Glen Burnie
The most common spiders you’ll encounter in your home are outlined below.
||How to Identify
- Body size 1/4 to 1.5 inches
- Leg span 3 inches
- Color: white, black or earth tones
- No web
- Bite is not dangerous
- Cold weather drives them inside
- Move in short jumps/hops
- Usually found near windows or where there are flies
- 1/3 inch long
- black, hairy bodies and legs
- Very small
- Bright yellow or white, or reddish
- Found on plants/flowers
- Shiny black body with a distinct red \”hourglass\” on the abdomen.
- Usually found outdoors near basement wells, patio furniture, sheds or where lumber is stacked.
- Bite can be dangerous
- Webs are irregularly shaped.
- Enter homes where they are tiny
- Webs are usually not noticeable until after the spider dies and the web becomes covered in dust
|Yellow House Spiders
- 1/4 inch in size
- Usually enter the home in the fall to lay eggs
- Hatch in the spring and return to the outdoors
|Orb Weavers/Garden Spiders
- Black bodies with yellow markings/stripes
- Often appear in late summer/early fall
- Usually found outdoors
- Webs are symmetrical and can be up to two feet in size
|Pennsylvania Grass Spiders
- Webs are most visible in the early morning when covered in dew
- Very small bodies
- Bodies are various shades of brown with darker brown stripes
There are over twenty-nine varieties of spider in Maryland, so your chances of encountering one is good. To learn more about spiders and how to keep them and other pests out of your home, contact Raven Termite & Pest Control.